Meru School is a National School in Meru County located along the Meru-Maua Road in Imenti North District . The school has a population of 1206 students, 62 qualified teachers and 35 support staff. It has a legally constituted Board of Management and an able Parent Teachers Association. Academically the school has consistently posted an impressive mean score.
Meru School was started in 1956 as sister school to Meru Teachers College. The college staff taught the first class under trees near Mwithumwiru Primary School. It enrolled twenty two (22) students that were drawn from the larger Meru District, Central Province and North Eastern Province. In 1958 it admitted six girls therefore, becoming a mixed school up to 1961 when the girls moved to the present Kaaga Girls High School.
In 1959, the school became an Independent Government School registered under schedule 1 of Education Act under the sponsorship of DEB. The school became a double streamed school and had a population of 115 boys in 1969. in the same year it was granted the status of a high school enrolling the first ‘A’ level class of thirty students adding up to a total population of 353 boys.
In 1977, the first ‘A’ level science class was introduced in the school making a student population of 540. With the introduction of 8-4-4 system in 1986 the school was awarded a four stream status which it retained until 2010 when the fifth stream was introduced to accommodate the increasing enrolment of 935 students.
With the promulgation of the new constitution, that brought the idea of devolved government into counties, there was national outcry to upgrade and redistribute national schools in the country. Due to its exemplary performance, Meru School was seen fit for this category. It was upgraded into a National status in May 2011 among others.